Take a day tour exploring our farm and the Eyebrook Reservoir on the Leicestershire/Rutland border. The tour is lead by bird expert Neil who will guide you round the farm looking for and learning about the birds and wildlife who inhabit it. Up above there is the chance to see a range of farmland birds including skylarks, yellowhammers and tree sparrows, plus the chance of seeing brown hares cavorting round the fields. The Johnson family have farmed here since 1936 and Phil will be on hand to give an insight into the history of the farm, Fay will then bring you up to date with how their conservation farm is run today. The tour includes an insight into the growing and provision of bird food for Eyebrook Bird Feeds with a look around the mixing shed, and is rounded off with a cup of tea and Sue’s delicious homemade scones.
Following the tour of the farm there is an optional excursion to the Eyebrook Reservoir with Neil. The reservoir is a SSSI and is renowned for its range of birds and great bird watching. Most of the common wildfowl species can be seen here plus a few more unusual species. The northern inflow end is shallow and at low water levels areas of mud are exposed that attract numerous waders, including Dunlin and Golden Plover. The reservoir hosts a range of rare visitors including the ring-necked duck, little tern and cattle egret to name a few. Ospreys are frequent visitors in the summer months and are always a joy for us to see.
- Tour of farm (three-mile walk) committed to traditional & regenerative farming methods
- See and hear farmland birds attracted to this environmentally-friendly approach
- Chance of seeing Brown Hares cavorting around the fields
- Chances of seeing scarce birds in the area including Tree Sparrow, Osprey and other birds of prey
- Insight into three generations of farming at Rectory Farm
- Tour and explanation of production and supply of bird food
- An afternoon cup of tea and home-baked scones (subject to covid restrictions)
- Optional end-of-day guided birdwatching at adjacent Eyebrook Reservoir